Monday, June 15, 2009

Grace Spurt

Pic: Evelyn joined us for a playdate last Friday. Mommy had as much or more fun than the twins, I think. Thanks for coming, Laura and Evelyn!

Grace has had another "developmental spurt," as Mommy likes to call it. She's more self-entertaining, more verbal, more humorous than ever, which was quite wonderful during Chance's recent recovery from surgery (adnoids removed and ear tubes inserted on 6-11). As Chance clung to Mommy for a few days afterward (low-grade fever for about 2 days), Grace made up new games to play, helped Mommy, and generally had a blast with life.

At their 2-year check-ups on 4-15, the twins still measured in the bottom percentiles for their sizes, but they're still growing on the charts. Dr. Leonardi also commented that Grace's verbal abilities were those of a 3 1/2 yr old. Yes, we're proud parents, but do y'all know what it's like to have this itty-bitty 2-yr old talk in paragraphs to you? When we're in public, and she holds a lengthy conversation with a stranger, I watch that stranger's expression change from one of shock to surprise to delight. On the back porch, Grace recently said to her daddy, "I want to go inside. To see why Ruthie's barking. To see if she's okay. I'll come right back." She also bosses us around, "Mommy, come here right now. I don't want this paci. I want the blue one."

I remember that Grace sang the ABC song as early as last Nov.--at age 1 1/2--because at one of our Mom's club events (Barnes & Noble storytime on 11-5), one of the moms heard her and told another mom about it in a surprised voice. I didn't realize it was such an amazing feat, I guess.

Below are a couple more examples of Gracie's verbosity. The first video, in the highchair, was taken in January (21 mos old) at Grammy Sharon's house. At the end of the video, you can hear her sing the ABCs. (Please disregard my embarassing memory loss while singing "Twinkle Twinkle.")


This video was taken last Saturday at a birthday party (6-20). Grace sat on the floor and sang her ABCs while presents were being opened. She sang it a few times, prompting Daddy to call her "Rain Man."
When Chance was recovering from surgery, Daddy took Grace to run errands. They returned with an Ariel doll. Apparently, Gracie was intrigued by Ariel's "top," telling everyone in the store "She's got boobies" and then coming home to inform Mommy too. BTW, Daddy fixed her hair that morning--an 80s 'do, doncha think? She'll be wearing a Guns 'N' Roses t-shirt soon.And, not surpringly perhaps, Grace regularly picks up a telephone (play ones around the house, and sometimes Mommy's cell) and pretends to call someone. She holds a conversation that usually mimicks what she's heard Mommy say (and sometimes we actually call the person she requests). Most frequently, she "calls" Aunt Manda, as in this video. But the FUNNIEST part of the video is Chance declaring, "I squish him! I squish a bug!" Grace couldn't talk over that, and MOmmy had to stop the video so she could laugh.

Right before her 2nd birthday, Gracie also began calling me "Jenny" instead of Mommy. She'd heard her daddy call me that, so she began to do it too. Is it just me, or isn't that supposed to happen during adolescence?! But Grace also saw her parents' wedding picture, and when I asked her who the lady was, she said, "A princess." Awwwwwwww!!!!!!

You know, I just realized that I haven't posted the major change experienced by this Mommy of Twins. Right around the twins' 2nd birthdays, I caught myself thinking, We've got it made. For the first time since their birth, Mommy could grab a few minutes to do something other than intently oversee/interact with the twins. And as I watched them create their own games--by themselves or with each other--I began to see the beauty of having twins. I also love that we have BUILT-IN PLAYMATES at our house. I wouldn't wish that first year with twins on anyone, but now I think, We have arrived! Or perhaps I should say, We survived!

3 comments:

The Nash Family said...

Hey JJ,
Way to go, Gracie! I can't help but think that our children are such good talkers because WE are soooo talkative! We also listen to our childrens' music CDs just about every day, which supposedly helps with verbal skills (in addition to books).
I'm so happy you guys feel like you've "arrived" (and survived!). Does that mean you're ready for another one now? Just wondering.
Love you and want so much to come to see you!!!
Andrea
P.S. The story about Gracie seeing your wedding picture reminded me of the time Aubrey saw our's for the first time and got a perplexed look on her face then asked, "Where's Aubrey?"

Baum Twins said...

We'd love to see y'all too!

And thanks for the addition of "survived" -- I added it. You're awesome for reminding of that.

Hugs and kisses to y'all.

Shannon and Paul said...

Your kids are little {and occasionally a tad evil} geniuses. We might very well start practicing calling Grace "Madame President" and Chance "Colonel Baumgartner", Astronaut who saves Earth. We need Chance to get working on fuel alternatives NOW.